Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Big B.O.

Iron Man knocks down another $15.3 million on a Friday eve to remain on top of the heap...

And Speed Racer lands with a dull ker-plunk in third place, no doubt a large disappointment to the heirs of all the brothers Warner ... but the audience apparently smells the same stinker the critics do and stays away in droves.

(Once again, Iron Man is the only Top Ten film to break through the 100 million bucks barrier) ...

Update: Rounding out the weekend: Even with a 49% drop, Iron Man collectes $50.5 million to remain king of the money hill, with a $177.1 million domestic total.

Remarkably, there are only two features in the Top Twenty sporting triple digits. There's Numero Uno, and then there is Horton Hears a Who at #14, and pretty near the end of its run. (The Seuss epic now stands at $150,669,000 domestic box office.)

Elsewhere in the derby, Speed Racer and What Happens in Vegas ended in a photo finish -- $20,210,000 for Racer and $20 million for the Cameron/Ashton comedy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I saw Speed Racer and it was great. It had crazy, wild action scenes in cartoon world turned inside out, but there was a very innocent, sweet story there. I hated Spy Kids, but felt like this is what that type of film should have been.

I don't think it's the best movie of the summer, that's going to be Dark Knight, but I must admit it was a lot of fun. And the kids all loved it who were at our screening.

Anonymous said...

Yes, me too! It's a bummer that it's getting killed and critics are dogpiling. The movie did cost entirely too much, but I have no sympathy for studios placing big bets for big franchise pay-offs. It's their table and their stakes, so their loss.

Very creative movie and a good feel. People and kids were clapping and cheering, and you rarely see that.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you guys. I wanted no part in seeing this from the previews. My friends wanted to go see it and I wanted to see Iron Man again. Griping, I went along.

Wow. What a trip. I've never really known much about Speed Racer, but it was a really fun movie. I was amazed at watching this world they'd created. It was a thin story, but one with heart. And I can honestly say it was unlike any movie I've ever seen. And that's saying something.

Hopefully people will go see it if the word of mouth keeps up.

Site Meter