Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Zemeckis Has Moved On, BUT ...

The Beatles have other suitors.

Harry Potter Producer David Heyman: I’ve got the rights to this book called The Curious Instance of the Dog and the Night Time, which I’m gonna do with [Steve] Kloves (screenwriter of Harry Potter). I just closed the deal on some Beatles songs, and we’re gonna do an animated film, a musical animated film using Beatles songs, with a love story between a dung beetle and a lady bug. ...

Dung beetle? I was hoping for a potato bug.

You will note that live-action producers -- even ones with billion dollar franchises -- are moving into the animation biz. This begins to look like a trend.

7 comments:

Mark Mayerson said...

Let's hope it's a trend and not a bubble.

Jonathan Lyons said...

Let me guess the ending. The happy couple with a brood of baby bugs with an equal distribution of Dung and Lady.

Anonymous said...

I would be more excited if and interested in this project if Heyman got the name of the book right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Curious_Incident_of_the_Dog_in_the_Night-Time

Anonymous said...

You assume it was Heyman, and not the writer of the article, who screwed up. My bet is was the writer mis-hearing. On another note, if all it takes for you to be excited about a project is the producer being accurate in pronouncing the title, then I want you in my audience.

Anonymous said...

Know who else likes puns? Marketing people.

I rest my case on the idiots suspicion.

Anonymous said...

Why not? I hope it's good. The music will be.

Anonymous said...

A movie about beatles with Beatles music?
I have never, and probably will never understand people's fascination with puns.


Aside from said pun (which even Sesame Street did, fer cryin' out loud!)--or thin misinterpretation of Gnomeo's box office--I will never understand producers' fascination with wanting to make "a story out of Beatles songs".
When I heard "Across the Universe" announced, I'd wanted to sit Julie Taymor down and make her watch the Peter Frampton/Bee Gees "Sgt. Pepper" in its entirety. I'd hoped it would be aversion therapy.

Site Meter